Allright, I picked up Nick's book " A long Way Down". He is kick ass. Totally. I mean have to give it to the guy for being so matter - of - fact about love , loss and life. Though you laugh with him, it hurts, and while you laugh out loud, you can hear your pain , distinct, suicidal and completely lunatic. You know that the tears that welled up in the corner of your eyes are not because you are tired laughing but because you wanted to cry. Instead you laughed.
Here's Nick Hornby quoted...straight from A Long Way Down, some matter- of -fact yet kick ass statements that made me laugh and weep in tandem.
1. Being owed an explanation is like being owed money, and not just a fiver, either. Five or six hundred quid minimum, more like.
2. Surely the coroner's inquest should read, " He took his own life away after sober and careful contemplation of the shambles it had become'?
3. The papers have been full of shit about me, and every word of that shit was true.
4. No, we were finished as serious people. We had sold our seriousity for twelve hundred and fifty of your English pounds.
5. She dumped me because I wasnt going to be a rock n roll star after all. "Shitiness, they name is Woman."
6.Most people have a ropethat ties them to someone, that rope can be short or it can be long.( Be long Belong. Get it?) You dont know how long though. Its not your choice.
7. Telling me I can do anything I want is like pulling the plug out of the bath and then telling the water it can go anywhere it wants. Try it, and see what happens.
8. The problem with our generation is we dont want to do something, make something, we want to be something.
9.One thing the last couple of years had taught me is there's nothing you can't fuck up if you try real hard.
10. You see? Ex wives: really everybody should have atleast one.
11. Hard is trying to rebuild yourself, piece by piece, with no instruction book, and no clue as to where all the important bits are supposed to go.'
2 weeks ago