Thursday, February 19

Don't lose your mind, lose your weight

I am reading this book, right now. In between flights, held up in the air, rough landings and waiting at the airports.

Rujuta Diwekar, best remembered for Kareena Kappor's size 0, is a nutritionist and if she is to be believed, I am going to be losing a lot of weight very soon. That too with exercise restricted to only 3 days a week. That's doable. And if she is to be believed further ( when it comes to matters around the waist, I would believe anybody. ANYBODY.) I can do so while I eat my Poori & Aloo ka bhunjiya ( she says stick to your genes) and any self respecting Bihari will admit there is nothing more sumptuous than a poori, and crispy, red and fried aloo ka bhujiya for breakfast on a languid Sunday morning. absolutely nothing compares.

By the way I shouldn't be caught mooning over High Carbs or Carbs with high GI. That's because my body is listening.And that's not quite good. Because if you moon too much over bad food, that too makes you put on good weight. I agree because ,for me if its not the food, it must be its thought that bloats me up.Even when I just savored my cucumber sticks packed in a plastic box, usually sneaked into the flight, as though it were swiss chocolates smuggled out of Switzerland, I wake up many mornings holding my love handles.

Rujuta talks about eating calmly. It makes sense. But I guess there is a general disappearance of calm from our lives. Consider this, I missed a 8:50 morning flight sitting at the airport reading a book, sipping a coffee, holding my boarding pass. The ground staff assured me that they had paged for me some 6 times and that I was the only one out of 145 people to miss the flight. Scary statistics. I didn't even have the energy to pretend to be an irate customer. I took the boarding pass for my next flight wordlessly, reached an hour late, gulped my lunch in two straight strokes and did stand up training for the whole day.

"Put an alarm like Ghajni" , joked my brother.

I guess we all need alarms to be normal now.

Another aspect that Rujuta talks about is "talking to your body", I like this concept very much. If you are at a wedding, let your body know that you are going to be eating quite a bit, the body will adjust itself. While it may sound funny when carried to another extreme, "body , I am heading for that glass of wine, you make sure there aren't any fallouts", but when viewed logically our state of mind is in our control. I am sure it isnt too different for our body.

If I jot donw the list of messages I have given to my body, I might be sued by my very own bod. I have told my body I hate it, I have looked at every PYT with a pang. I have looked at myself in a full length mirror only accusingly. One of my must dos with all my friends is to share an old snap where I thin. I was 19 then. ( accept it, you would not look 19 at 32, you would not, just accept it and move on ) I have never appreciated my fitness levels. Appraisal after appraisals my bosses have complemented my energy levels and I wrote it off to a state of mind.

And what I have to done to mys taste buds is far more criminal.

1. I have forgotten the taste of Thumps Up family of beverages.
( Really, I don't remember how Thumps tastes anymore.)

2. My cook knows the difference between Jowar & Bajra. Also Cauliflower and Brocoli.

3. I dont know the taste of Lindt chocolate or for that matter any chocolate anymore.

4. My comfort food used to be Khichdi. Rice & Lentils over cooked in Pure ghee with a lot of veggies in it.( potatoes, tomatoes, cauliflower, pees, carrot) Eating that gives me an uncomfortable guilt. A sinking feeling that what I have done is not right.

5. My favorite pass time is too google about condiments, food and their nutritional value.

This is my Life. While the diva of taste Nigella Feast winks in to the camera as she whisks a muffin and coos - Balance is everything.

2 comments:

shikha said...

hibernating again:(

Rujuta Diwekar said...

Hey! I loved this blog and your style of writing. Sincerely hope that you enjoy the khichdi guilt free after the book:)